Thursday 21 August 2008

Tonight


The sky is warm tonight,
sparkle a million times:
take me into the sky,
I want to die tonight.

Let me forget this dusky tree,
the river's chuckling glee,
quivering silvers of moon,
the roses, curled into sleep;

for if I hovered where I cannot find,
in gloomy heights, some heaven
blue as seaglow, curled
like a sleeping shell;

memory should dissolve in flows of sand
and every star outstrobe
the shimmer of dawn;
no bliss of dew, only dreams,

quiet and lost beneath me.
Wave on wave suffuses
whispers of existence.
Sleep, sea breeze.

And when tomorrow clangs, don't wake me:
where I'll be, alarm
sinks under snooze,
a drop of placid sea...

I'll come down if I choose.

3 comments:

tsduff said...

It's good. And, you've chosen one of my all time favorite pictures.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Pretty poem. Nice choice of illo.

How about some NEW poems?

Cathy said...

At my very best I longed to convey emotions of solitude and the urge to hold and keep it, like this (personal interp) All my poems I keep in "quotes" so readers know ahead of time what they're in for. Enjoyed this, read it a few times. More please.